miabonics; dmv

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Very Young Girls

Thanks to my insomnia I found myself up watching David Schisgall's documentary film about child prostitution and sex trafficking in New York City entitled "Very Young Girls" on Showtime. After watching the film I began thinking about the many females (friends, family, and associate) that I knew who were sexual exploited, who are still being exploited, and I see what it has done to them in terms of their perception of life, love, and self-worth.

I'm sure you've all heard the basic storyline:

Pimp to Girl: You're gonna go out there to that car, ask him if he's a pimp or the police, charge him a price, do what you gotta do and jet.
*30 minutes (or so later)*
Girl: I got $500
Pimp: Hand me the money *counts it*
Girl: Can I get it back?
Pimp: You can't get shit! This is money for me to take care of you. Whatever you need, I'll get – as long as you bring me my money. You're my ho...my moneymaking ho.


Now if this was a Thai, Chinese, Indian, Russian, or Nigerian girl smuggled to the states made to work in some type of brothel she wouldn't be classified as a prostitute – she would be portrayed rightfully as a victim of sexual exploitation & human trafficking. The feds would prosecute her captors and she would be granted protection – as outlined under the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000. But sadly, many girls who go through the aforementioned scenario are U.S. citizens. And in the states, instead of understanding that many of these girls are forced into this life, these girls are treated like the criminal, not the victim – charged with being a prostitute. My question is – what makes these "international" girls (non-citizens to put it frankly) a victim and these girls from Brooklyn, D.C., Atlanta, Los Angeles, etc. a criminal?

Watching Schisgall's documentary actually brought tears to my eyes because when you listen to those girls tell their story, it really shocking how much they endured at 13, 14, 15 years of age. The documentary also features a nonprofit organization, Girls Educational and Mentoring Services (GEMS), which was founded by Rachel Lloyd to help young victims of the sex trade. In the documentary Lloyd mentions the fact that the song "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" won a Grammy – but that the true reality is that it is hard out here for these young girls who are constantly raped, sold, physically and mentally abused by men who are old enough to be their father.

I remembered when I was about 13 I had an ex-boyfriend of mines who would offer money if I did something for him. Just out of fear of getting caught, I always turned him down. After awhile I guess he got tired of my "faking" ... the last I heard of him, he had been shot & killed. As I got older – I realized that had I said "yes" my life would have probably turned out completely different. I can count on both of my hands young girls that I knew growing up who might have been dealing with issues at home, issues with their self-esteem, issues with their body image, or just wanting someone to love them – and then came along a snake that fed on all those insecurities and turn them out.

Maybe you can relate, maybe you can't. Either way, I hope that you'll peek the documentary and be compelled to speak out.

Related/Mentioned Stuff You NEED To Check Out:

NY Times Blog: A Look At The Harrowing Lives of Child Prostitutes

GEMS: Girls Educational & Mentoring Services

"Very Young Girls" (2007) - Preview

2 comments:

  1. WOW! powerful post. I totally agree, we need to grant some kind of amnesty & protection to the girls right at home who are enslaved by the same fear. Save them instead of treating them like criminals. No matter where they come from, they're still victims... each and every one of them.
    kudos on a great post my girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this documentary. I think the reason why people allow this to continue and participate in this is because people have a defeated Outlook on society's rules. Society is set up for some to fail and in the words of NAS, "some girls become ladies; some girls become whores." Now, that doesn't make prying on young girls acceptable at all, but the rules of society are constructed to have some girls fail. And the main failure of a woman is to be a whore. It's no different from these teenage boys who sell drugs and the kingpins that use them.

    ReplyDelete