miabonics; dmv

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

For the love of ... BEER


...and I'm back like I never left!

Okay I haven't wrote a blog since my post about the child prostitutes in New York, and I’m sure that left you guys some what depressed. But in an attempt to bring a little sunny-side up to my blog – tonight's topic is about a beverage that I have grown very fond of due to my days at the hillbilly scholastic halls of Georgia Southern University --- BEER!

One night I was up on Twitter (@miabonics) and a bruh from Chicago was talking about wanting to try a new beer; I instantly suggested a beer that one of my professors hipped me to: Blue Moon! Then I tweeted a poem to my poetic muse about beer and she suggested that I do this blog. I'm almost certain I was drunk when I made this up...

oh beer how we love thee. from malted barley, wheat, & maize! the lagers, stouts, and ales. i'll even take draught, but rarely ya hear?!


See what I mean? But I digress. Here is a list of my favorite beers...let me repeat that...MY favorite beers...therefore, if you don’t like it (or beer for that matter) *in my HATEthalamew voice* I don't give a shit!

1. Stella Artois
First of all...the bottle/label is a freaking beauty. Second...Belgians make fine beer & this one tops the list.

2. Blue Moon Brewing: Belgian White
This is a wheat ale...but it's a Belgian wheat ale; therefore, it is made a slightly different than some wheat ales (the main thing being that it is unfiltered – this is explains its cloudy color). It's made with white wheat, oats, coriander, and orange peel.

3. Sam Adams: Summer Ale (April – August)
This is also a wheat ale and I've heard some people say they don't like it because of its seemingly overpowering wheat taste. But to me, the citrus-ly notes pair well with the wheat – makes it a perfect summer drink.

4. Sam Adams: Cherry Wheat
As much as I HATE cherries, I actually like this beer...a lot!

5. Blue Moon Brewing: Honey Moon Summer Ale (May – August)
It took awhile for me to like this because it does have a sweet aftertaste. But I think I really enjoy this beer because of its rarity. Not only is it only available in the summer (duh), but they only make small batches of it – so once it's gone, it's gone!

6. Heineken
You know the deal – this is just the typical party beer

Awhile ago a friend put me on to going to breweries and I went to the Crescent City Brewhouse in New Orleans. If you ever go – be sure to sample ALL of their beers (like me ... trust me, they'll happily oblige): Pilsner, Red Stallion, Black Forest, and Weiss Beer. I plan to go to Capital City Brewing Company in D.C. so I’m accepting offers for date night so we can all get white boy wasted. Happy drinking! :-)

P.S. If you didn't know, I'm 1/4 Irish. My great-grandfather's father (last name O'Nery) -- basically, my mother's great-grandfather -- was Irish immigrant who carved out his little piece of the American dream in Richmond, Virginia. Just a little #factaboutMia since we are talking about alcohol & all. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment