miabonics; dmv

Saturday, June 12, 2010

We Used To Be Homies...

Let me share a story with you:

Jane & Brent have been close friends for several years – his parents adore her, her parents respect him. They consider each other long lost siblings. They protect and stick up for each other. And if anything goes down, they always have each other’s back. Then Brent meets a girl. On the outside, the girl seems to be cool – well with the exception of one thing – she is not okay with the relationship Brent & Jane share. Jane has expressed no desire to ever have more than a friendship with Brent and everyone else knew that as well. But nevertheless, in an effort to please his girlfriend – Brent cut off ties with Jane.

The story was a rather simplified version of a commonly seen series of events. I’ve been there before. One of my male best friends started dating this trick (because that’s exactly what she is) and she told me that he was her man and not mines. So in an effort to keep his steady flow of coochie, he ditched me. Never mind the fact that we had known each other since middle school. Or forget the fact that whenever he was down & out, I was the one who had to listen to him whine, moan, complain, and eventually helped him see it through. Of course there was a time where I may have looked at him differently, but when he began dating ol' girl – I never once disrespected their relationship. So I came to the conclusion that the bit was simply insecure and envious of the fact that while she may be giving up the coochie & wearing the title of "girlfriend" – she could never really take my place in his life. Now I know that sounds petty – but admit it – if the family likes you (the friend) more than they like the girlfriend…that speaks volumes.

So to anyone reading this blog – take a hint: do NOT let anyone come between you and your friends. Because let me tell you this – not everyone will put up with you the way your good friends will. Good friends, and I mean good, true friends are HARD to come by. So if you’re dating someone and they are jealous of the bond that you share with your friends – tell that bit to either a) shut up & deal with it, or b) hit the road jack! This is not to say that you shouldn’t spend time with your new beau, but you should never hang your friends on the self & use them when you feel like - because sooner or later - people are going to get sick & tired of being treated like a clutch.

And "homie" if you're reading this...I hope she's worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I have been dating a girl for about 3 years now and one thing I have learned is that you won't be able to maintainer same lifestyle as before. I had a play sister who my gf knew of. Me and this play sister had a sexual episode, but we did not have sex. My gf pretty much made it clear that she didnt feel comfortable with our relationship, so out of respect for her, I don't talk to my sis as much. We still talk, but not like that. I guess my point is that it's hard to respect the opinion of your mate of you have friends of the opposite sex, especially of they feel threatened. You have to find a balance. Your homie was horrible in finding a balance if he completely ditched you tho.

    ReplyDelete