miabonics; dmv

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I Give Myself Away

Today I was at work and my manager started an interesting conversation about Beyonce at the Grammy's. Ironically it was the same conversation that I had on Twitter with some of my Tweeps (Miabonics) but she was discussing how Beyonce has come so far but she was disappointed when she didn't acknowledge God in her acceptance speech. Now that may seem like a small/miniscule thing to some people - but for those of who watched Beyonce from Destiny's Child back in 1998 (yes it's been that long)she always thanked God for her success. Now I don't know if it has anything to do with Jay-Z (I know a lot of you are about to start rambling about the Illuminati, lol) but who knows.

The reason I bring this up is because I've seen so many people who have let their success go to their head and that stubborn pride that comes with it becomes their downfall. What many people don't realize is that everything that we see on this earth is only temporary - all of the material things of this world that people tend to covet, pale in comparison to what God has in store for us later. Let's have church for a minute (yes, I'm about to get a little deep so bear with me)...

One of my favorite bible verses comes from Jeremiah 29:11 and it says: "For I know the plans I have for you, 'declares the LORD,' plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." My personal conviction is that when God supplies us with different things in life He is testing us. I also believe when you are blessed with certain things you do have a choice in how you decide to utilize those things. However, if you should decide that, well, maybe you don't want to do it God's way, I can promise you this - there is no high, like the MOST high. What I mean is this: if you read that bible verse from Jeremiah, God says that he has plans for us - but you have to understand that many of us are doing some stuff, involved in some stuff, harboring some stuff that is keeping us from receiving ALL of the things that God wants to give us.

My "lifestyle change" (because I hate the term/concept of New Year's Resolution) is to work on getting rid of all of those things that are blocking me and keeping me from fulfilling the purpose that God has for me.

What does this have to do with Beyonce? Well one of the things that stand in the way of many people being all that God has called them to be, including individuals who have experienced some success, is this little called pride. In the book of 2 Chronicles (chapter 26 to be exact) there is a story about a King named Uzziah. In the beginning he sought God for everything and through it all God provided for him and gave him success. But then King Uzziah became too powerful and he let the fame go to his head and the story goes that he was afflicted with leprosy. I've seen a lot of African-American entertainers, businessmen/women, etc. who have been blessed with so much and yet at the height of their careers they don't even utter a single "thank you." I don't know about you, but even though my success may not seem as "great" as some one like Beyonce - I do know that I didn't get it by myself and it was ONLY God that got me to where I am today (*interject with your own praise break*).

I could go on and on but my message for tonight's blog is simply this - the chains of life begin to break when we are willing to believe we are who God says we are and when we learn to be victorious in the face of challenges by surrendering our lives to God, not by gritting our teeth and trying harder. So friends I dare you to give yourself away to Him.

1 comment:

  1. That was really amazing. I must remember to take this message with me as I journey into the industry! Keep it up, this blog will be a blessing to all that read and become doers of the Good Word!

    ReplyDelete